Katy Wiedemann

Providence, RI, USA
Katy Wiedemann’s work explores the field of scientific illustration, particularly that of human and animal anatomy. Using traditional illustration techniques, her work blends a unique expression of realism with a precise understanding of scientific anatomy, highlighting the beauty and the complexity of our natural biological forms. Inspired by the great anatomical illustrators of history, such as Jean-Baptiste Marc Bourgery, Henry Vandyke Carter and Max Brodel, she seeks to revisit the aesthetic of classic scientific illustration, yet with a modern interpretation. Katy’s illustrations have been published in several large scientific publications, such as Scientific American Magazine and Taschen’s Atlas of Infographics.

Katy is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in Illustration, as well as a MA in Illustration from Edinburgh College of Art. Please do not hesitate to contact her for information on sales, freelance work or general inquiries.

Work Experience

Wiedemann Illustrations

Freelance Illustrator

2013 - Present

Uncover Lab UK

Designer and Laser Engraving Technician

2015 - 2016 Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Marine Biological Laboratory

Scientific Illustration Intern

I worked as an intern for the Communications Department at the Marine Biological Laboratory. I provided them with cellular biological illustrations to use in the MBL's publication Catalyst.
2012 - 2013 Massachusetts, United States

The Edna Lawrence Nature Lab

Curator's Assistant and Animal Care Specialist

I started working under the curators at the Edna Lawrence Nature Lab as a museum monitor. In this position I would guide visitors through the museum as well as keep records, organize specimens, clean and assist with repairs. I now work as the primary animal care assistant feeding, cleaning and caring for the population of the live exotic animals at The Nature Lab.
2012 - 2013 Rhode Island, United States

PONSHOP Studio And Gallery

Studio and Gallery Assistant

I worked as Studio and Gallery Assistant under the two owners of the PONSHOP Studio and Gallery, Scarlett and Gabriel Pons. I assisted the management of sales, inventory, gallery design, product design and advertisement. I also assisted the artists in their studio work and had my art exhibited in the gallery.
2011 - 2011 Virginia, United States

Education

Rhode Island School Of Design (RISD)

Bachelor of Fine Arts

I majored in Illustration with a focus on Scientific Illustration.
September 2009 - June 2013 Providence, Rhode Island, United States

University Of Edinburgh

Master's Degree in Illustration

September 2015 - September 2016 Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Skills

Adobe Illustrator, 35mm Photography, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Curation, Digital Photography, Exhibit Design, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Oil Painting, Scientific Illustration, Screen Printing, Technical Illustration,