- Social Seating Design Project
A research based product development project...
- The focus of this project was to explore the research process which leads to product design. The first step was to conduct a series on in-person general interviews. After presenting our findings from the initial round of interviews, we were given a week and a half to refine our research and produce a resultant product idea.
- My original focus for the primary interviews was investigating which aspects of their living spaces were particularly important to my intervewees. Through these talks, I discovered that whenever participants discussed the rooms they spent the most time in, they almost always emphasized seating as a major factor in why the room was appealing. I then created and distributed a survey that examined how different aspects and qualities of seating affected the environment of the room in which they were placed. The first infographic below shows a basic summary of my findings.
- Based on my research, I developed the following problem statement:
Seating choice can make a significant difference to the social dynamic of a room. For example, taller, less padded seats encourage mingling and more mobile, active socialization, whereas deep,comfortable seats create a more relaxed, intimate atmosphere. The goal of my project is to create a versatile seating set that can adapt to different social situations.
The primary goals the design intends to meet are:
1. Easy transformation between relaxed and active social
2. Adjustable arrangement
3. Many seats from one
After an intensive period of idea generation, I selected and refined the design idea that I felt best addressed my three goals. That idea is depicted in the images below.
- Were I to continue with this project, I would pass it through a third phase of design refinement, working out remaining issues with the function and aesthetic of the piece.