ISeeBirds is a mobile application I designed as the supplement of the oasis poles, which is a street sign installation that can be placed in the city to create richer contacts between people and birds. (Oasis Poles is also posted on this website) This mobile application helps users better understand the birds they usually see around the city. Users can also report a witness to the database to support the research and reservation of birds living in our neighborhood.Here is a introduction video for my graduate thesis project, both the Oasis Poles and the ISeeBirds.
- Started with the male and female picture of the bird, followed by a map of the sites where previous users spot this kind of birds, we can scroll down to see the brief introduction, then reach the interface of other options.
- The database
We can take a picture of the real bird on top, and then upload it to the online database. The system will track your position and then add a mark on the map which shows all the sites that people previously saw this type of bird. As people keep taking and uploading photos of birds, the database will create a more accurate map of the different frequencies of a specific kind of bird showing up in different areas. The map for a specific kind of bird will show up each time we scan into the index of that bird. Therefore people would know good place to see these birds and maybe even start to wonder why that is a good place and what we can do to make the other place a nicer habitat for the birds.
- For the city government, if they don’t have a big enough budget to populate the entire urban center with green plants, they can decide where to do it first based on the data people collected. Maybe they can plant more trees around the areas where birds show up frequently, for preservation, or where there are fewer birds, for expansion of the habitat.
- Other Functions:We can also see the range of their habitats, other birds that looks similar, and listen to the pre-recorded bird call on this app.
- Feeding back to the physical world
When you exit the app, a series of pictures demonstrating the natural habitat of this particular kind of bird will show up on the screen, encouraging people to actually take action in real life.
- Please also check out the first part of this thesis project: Meeting the Birds - Oasis Poles under the home page or the product page.