This project was a sponsored collaboration between the RISD Future Livable Spaces studio and NASA. Our group (Ruby, Isabel and I) focused on specifically the space suit repair and maintenance portion
of the maintenance and fabrication level, the first floor of Hestia.
We conducted an in-depth exploration of work-flow in hospitals and restaurants and thoroughly
researched all the components and daily routines of astronauts on the ISS as well as past missions to
aid us in creating an environment that contributes to the future Mars habitat’s survivability.
We wanted to design a versatile work station that would allow for crew members to circulate efficiently
around the workspace.
We focused on:
- housing for the tools made accessible, while occupying minimal space
- a central workstation that can assist in repair or maintenance
- modular attachments that are compatible with the central work island
- pressurization of the suit
- specific repairs; running diagnostics on suits