Bubble/Print

  • Intention
     
    How can we subvert a tools’ intended use to create something unexpected?
     
  • Experiments I
     
    I chose Soap and Printer as my tools to work with.
  • I mixed soap with ink/watercolor. Then I used a straw to blow bubbles onto a paper to create marks. I experimented with different soap, straws...
     
  • These are experiments with printer. I made my pattern choice with a dice. Then I let the paper go through the printer multiple times, so the shapes can lay on top of each other and create overlapping colors and shapes. I repeated the process (rolling dice - choose the pattern - printer) 6 times for one piece of paper. I continued experimenting with the printer by feeding it wet paper. It can leave bleeding marks on the wet paper.
     
  • Experiments II
  • Second phase of the experiment requires student to combine two tools. I scanned one of the bubble image from Experiment I and tried to print it on a piece of folded paper. However, the folded paper was too thick. It jammed in the printer.

  • Then I tried thinner paper. It also jammed, and created some ink leaking mark, because it is more “fibery”.
     
  • I continued to change the paper to the tissue paper. It is made up of two very thin layers, so it could create double image on it. But I found this is not very exciting for me, so i kept experimenting by adding soap water into the printer ink cartridges. These ink produced the image below.
  • After this print, my printers broke. So I tried to incorporate printer and soap together in a different way. I disassembled the ink cartridges and added the printing ink in the soap water to perform my final trail.
     
  • Final I
  • I used this process to create the mark on the paper. I found the mark is much colorful and obvious than the mixture of watercolor and soap. To control the marks, I brought back the idea of dice system. I assigned the six procedures of making origami to each facade on the dice. (eg: If I threw three, it means I should perform the third step of the origami and press that folded paper on the bubble cup to “print” the marks). I also used three kinds of origami to add more variation. 
     
  •  
    Final II
  • I did eight of these bubble prints. I was interested what if the prints is smaller and repeated. Then I chose three of them to scan into the computer, and tessellated these images to make patterns out of them. Instead of lining them up, I did fold the bubble prints (the module of the tessellation), so I could create flipped and rotated module. With various module, I could make more dynamic compositions.